History of the Langside Badminton League
The following was written by John Paris, Langside Badminton League Convenor in 1992.
The first meeting of the Langside & District Churches Badminton League was to foster and encourage the game of badminton among Christian Agencies throughout the Langside and District area.
The league was founded in August 1932 with a membership of 23 clubs. This compliment was divided into 3 divisions, each team consisting of four mixed doubles couples. This style of play permitted more players to take part. The clubs taking part were as follows:
- Battlefield West
- Battlefield East
- Cathcart Congregational
- Cathcart New
- Cathcart Old Parish
- Cathcart South
- Eastwood Parish
- Erskine Rose
- Langside Avenue
- Langside Hill
- Langside Old Parish
- McNicol Memorial
- Merrylee Parish
- Mosspark Parish
- Mount Florida
- Orchard Park
- Saint Oswalds
- Shawlands Cross
- Shawlands South
- Southern Y.M.C.A
The league continued in this form until the outbreak of war in 1939 when it was disbanded for the duration. It regrouped in 1948 with a nucleus of 4 clubs, which were Battlefield West, Erskine Road, Mount Florida and Battlefield East. The membership grew steadily until 1957 when 52 clubs participated forming 7 divisions with 4 affiliated clubs waiting in the wings: Candlish Memorial, Orchardhill, St Marlin’s and Strathbungo.
Individual Championships were held in the Palace of Arts in Bellahouston Park and representative matches were played annually against Edinburgh Churches League, Clackmannanshire League, Glasgow F.P. League, Paisley & District League and Ayrshire Badminton League.
The Cockburn Centre was used extensively by the Langside Badminton League after it was opened in 1980.
Originally, the Henderson Cup presented to the League by Sir John Henderson J.P MP was an inter-group competition where the League was divided into 6 groups of approx. 6 clubs per group i.e. Cathkin, Hampden, Shawlands, Pollockshields, Battlefield and Thornlee. A team was selected by each consisting of 4 ladies, 4 gents and a reserve mixed doubles couple.
The Southern Challenge Trophy was initially a club knockout tournament and still is, but the losers in the first round now compete for the Henderson Cup.
The trophies and prizes were presented at the annual social dance held in the Cameo Ballroom in Shawlands at the end of the season.
In 1982, a Church Service was held in Orchardhill Parish Church to mark the 50th anniversary of the Langside & District Churches Badminton League. Glasgow City Council honoured the League with a civic reception in the City Chambers to celebrate the occassion.
The clubs who have stood the pace of time for being present at the inception of the League are two in number, namely Shawlands South and Netherlee. Both clubs are to be congratulated and are still going strong today in their present division.
The continued success of the ‘Langside’ could never have been accomplished without the loyal support of all who have borne office or serviced it in any way.
John M. Paris
Langside & District Churches Badminton League Convenor